Your Brand. Your Face. Your Headshot.
You are a unique and special flower. No single image could ever capture the amazing story of your life, or the true essence of who you are. However, the time has come to prepare, and present an image of you. For some people, it will be their only idea of how you look. It will be in their minds every time they think of, or speak with you. This headshot will probably find its way online, and may live there for a long time. It may appear every time anyone searches for you on the web. Think of this picture as your ambassador. With that in mind; let’s make this the best picture of you. Here are a few things for you to think about before your headshot:
Who is your audience? What makes your customers feel like they have an instant rapport with you? What look makes your target audience feel they can trust you? What makes them feel that you are an expert in your field? Try to present an image that is attractive to your customers.
What message are you sending with your look? I know; this is an obvious question. Just hear me out. Are you trying to look professional or casual? Approachable and friendly or serious and stable? Your photo communicates your approachability, and your authority. Do you want your customers to feel like they’re working with Mr. Rogers, Denzel Washington, or Zach Galifianakis? There’s no wrong answer to that question, even if your answer is “none of the above.”
What makes you comfortable? Seriously. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but what if they are the wrong words? Our eyes are incredible organs, and our brains derive more information than simple colors and lines. Pictures tell stories. We can read an image, and if the subject of the shot is uncomfortable, that comes across. We want you to feel comfortable and confident. Bring a friend, stuffed animal, bracelet, or whatever makes you feel like the best version of you possible. When you look into the camera lens, we want you to feel your best and that means comfortable, confident, and collected.
What makes you look better? Eat and drink well, but in moderation. Don’t consume too much alcohol. Drink more water than usual (consider making that a habit: water is good for you). Get a good night’s sleep. Lastly, don’t use this as an excuse to try something brave, wild, or new with your makeup or hair.
If you haven’t done so already, answer the following questions, and make sure your photographer and account manager get them:
What’s the tone of your headshot? (Serious, Fun, Professional, Formal, Semi-formal, etc)
What color background do you want? (White, Gray, Black, etc)
How much of your frame do you want to capture? (Full Body, Waist Up, Head and Shoulders, etc)
How much retouching do you want us to do? (Get rid of obvious spots and stray hairs, or take ten years off, something in between, etc)
Keep the following in mind:
- Get plenty of rest. You look better when you are well-rested. Trust us.
- Drink plenty of water. Starting a couple days before your headshot: drink extra water. Dehydration is not a good look for anyone.
- Think about the image you want to present. Dress accordingly. Make sure your clothes make you feel good, but aren’t too casual or formal for your audience.
- Don’t overdo your makeup or hair. A very complex hairdo may not read well on the camera and the makeup may read too well.
- Avoid wearing thin stripes or busy patterns. Additionally, dark, plain black and bright, plain white are not great choices generally (especially depending on your choice of background).
- Stop by a mirror right beforehand. We have a makeup room. Stop in there, and take a look at yourself. Be critical, but kind. Check that your hair isn’t flying all over.
- Feel confident and comfortable. Listen, you’re a big deal around here (at least, you are to us!) and you’re free to bring something (or someone) that makes you feel like it.
- If you can’t control it, don’t worry about it. Our expert artistic team will do a little magic with your headshot (removing blemishes, whitening teeth and the whites of your eyes, et cetera).
Want the perfect headshot recipe, broken down by days leading up to your photo session, download our free handy-dandy checklist.
These headshots could go on our digital billboard, website bios for your business, press releases or even business cards. Put your best face forward and call us today at 910-795-4830.